Forensic Science and Criminal Investigation By- Dr Pankaj Shrivastava & O P Shrivastava-Pages 482
Dr. Pankaj Shrivastava
DNA Fingerprinting Expert, DNA Unit, State Forensic Laboratory, Sagar - 470001 (MP) INDIA e mail- firstname.lastname@example.org;email@example.com
Work done at State FSL, Sagar
1. Developed guidelines for collection and preservation for DNA fingerprinting
2. Reported more than 1000 cases in Biology and serology division
3. Reported more than 350 DNA cases including almost every type of cases in DNA ie
Suspected child swapping
Rape and Mass rape
Father daughter incest
Identity where parents are not available
Mitochondrial DNA sequencing
Cases with extremely degraded using Minifiller DNA kit
Well versed in the handling of all the equipments and technology of DNA
4. Significant forensic contributions
1. State FSL of MP has the oldest and developed scene of crime mobile setup in the country. Also we have the experienced experts to impart training in all the areas of scene of crime investigation . In 2005 the i have tried to impart the valuable experience of our officer’s to train the officer’s posted in other state FSL’s. And the effort was widely appreciated which is evidenced by the Feedback we got. Same effort was done in 2006 and was not only appreciated by the trainees (source is their feed back) but also appreciated by the observer from DFS Director CFSL,
After having initiated the DNA fingerprinting setup under Police Modernization Scheme I was among the team of four Scientist’s who after MOU and training from CDFD,
2. Successfully taken part and passed two International Quality Control (QC) test for DNA Fingerprinting examination organised by the following International Quality Control bodies.
Medicine Berlin Hannoversche Strasse 6,D-10115 Berlin, Germany
2.Director - GENYO (Pfizer -
Center for Genomics & Oncology), Director - Lab. of Genetic Identification –
UGR, Dept. of Legal Medicine,
5. List of significant work done in the field of Crime Scene Management, Forensic Science Support provided to Field Police Officers in solving Crime in the Courts of Law or at Laboratory level
Organized a National Training Programme on Scene of Crime investigation for Forensic Scientist’s and Investigationg Officer’s of the country under sponsorship of DFS in 2005(sanctioned on my proposal from DFS).
Organized a National Training Programme on Scene of Crime Investigation for Forensic Scientist’s and Investigationg Officer’s of the country under sponsorship of DFS in 2006(sanctioned on the proposal of nominee).
Organized a Training Programme on Scene of Crime Investigation with Special emphasis on DNA Fingerprinting for Forensic Scientist’s and Investigationg Officer’s of Madhya Pradesh from the training grant of M P Police in 2006.
Organized a Training Programme on Scene of Crime Investigation with special emphasis on DNA Fingerprinting for Forensic Scientist’s and Medicolegal experts of Madhya Pradesh from the training grant of M P Police in 2007.
Organized a National Training Programme on Scene of Crime Investigation with special emphasis on DNA Fingerprinting from 16-20 February 2009 for Forensic Scientist’s and Medicolegal experts under sponsorship of DFS (sanctioned on the proposal of nominee).
Organized a Training Programme on Advances in criminal investigation on 12th Sept. 2011 for Judicial Officers at State FSL, Sagar (sanctioned on the proposal of nominee).
Organized a National Hands on Training Programme on DNA Fingerprinting in criminal investigation from 22-26 November 2011 for Forensic Scientist’s , Medicolegal experts and Academicians under sponsorship of Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi and Madhya Pradesh Council of Science and Technology, Bhopal. (sanctioned on the proposal of nominee).
6. Details of commendations received from Courts of Law / Police authorities -
2001- Commendation Award from DG BPR&D during all India Forensic Science conference in 2001
2005- 1.Commendation from DGP, MP police for organizing seminar on scene of
crime investigation from 10-12, January,2005
2. Commendation from DGP, MP police for organizing National Training
Programme on scene of crime investigation from 14-19, March,2005
3. Commendation from IGP, MP police for organizing National Training
Programme on scene of crime investigation from 14-19, March,2005
2006- 1. Commendation from Director, State Foensic Science Lab, Sagar (MP)
2. Commendation from Director, Medicolegal Institute,Govt. of MP, Home
3. Commendation from Director, State Forensic Science Lab, Sagar (MP) for
the work in organizing training programme for Investigating officers of MP
at FSL, sagar.
2007- 1. Commendation from Director, State Forensic Science Lab, Sagar (MP) for
the work in organizing training programme for Investigating officers and
Doctors of M P at FSL, sagar.
2. Commendation from Director, Medicolegal Institute, Govt. of MP, Home
Run by the Medicolegal Institute Bhopal for Forensic Scientist’s,
Investigating Officer’s and Juditial Officer’s during 2007.
2009- 1.Commendation from IGP,CID MP police for organizing seminar on scene of
crime investigation from 28.12.2008.
2. Commendation from ADGP, CID MP police for organizing National
Training Programme on scene of crime investigation with special emphasis
on DNA from 16-20, February ,2009.
7. Additional relevant information
Awarded 16th Indian Botanical Society Best paper presentation award in the section of Microbiology (1993).
Started Forensic Science Bulletin of FSL M.P.
Organized first ever National seminar organized by State Forensic Science Laboratory, Sagar under sponsorship of DFS.
A State level seminar was organized at
Assisted in organization of first ever National Training Programme organized by FSL, Sagar.
Organized National Level Training Programme on Scene of Crime Management was organized at FSL Sagar in the sponsorship of DFS.
Coordinated organization of Forensic Science awareness week celebrations in MP during 2004, 2005 & 2006.
Delevered Invited talk during the National Seminar Organised at St Aloysius College Jabalpur on “DNA Fingerprinting in identification and individualization of forensic evidence” (2008).
PASSED PROFIENCY TEST FOR dna EXAMINATION IN 2008,2009 AND 2010 FROM INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF IDENTITY, SPAIN.
Delevered Invited talk during the National Seminar Organised by Zone Police ,Ujjain under sponsorship of Bureau of Police Research and Development ,Delhi (2011)
Delivered invited talk At L N J N National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science,Govt. Of India, New Delhi on DNA Fingerprinting for Individual Identification on 11.10.11 during the Five day course on Individual Identification Techniques for Police Officials, Judicial Officials and Forensic Scientists.
DELEVERED INVITED TALKS ON SEROLOGY AND DNA FINGERPRINTING DURING SEVERAL NATIONAL TRAINING PROGRAMMES FOR JUDGES,POLICE OFFICERS IN
POLICE TRAINING COLLEGE,MADHYA PRADESH
CENTRAL POLICE TRAINING INSTITUTE OF bUREAU OF POLICE RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT, BHOPAL
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF CRIMINOLOGY AND FORENSIC SCIENCE, DELHI AND
JUDITIAL OFFICERS RESEARCH AND TRAINING INSTITUTE, JABALPUR.
INDIAN SCIENCE CONGRESS ASSOCIATION
ALL INDIA FORENSIC SOCIETY
SOCIETY FOR DNA FINGERPRINTING EXPERTS IN INDIA
INDIAN COUNCIL OF FORENSIC MEDICINE AND TOXICOLOGY